Saturday, June 9, 2012

New wings

I was never really happy with the wings on my "realistic" bumble bee so I went back and re-did them. For these pictures, I followed Amy's suggestion and included a penny for scale.

The new wings.

The new wings on the old bee.

I'm pretty happy with this bee, I'll tie more for practice and to have some to fish with.

The real bee "model" and the tied bee. I just realized, as I looked at this picture, what has been bothering me about my bee, I put the wings on up-side-down, they taper to the center, not the outside.

In the center top a No. 14 dry fly hook, second down, a No.12 and just above the penny the No.10 hook, with all the moths, the bees and the bee model.

Here they are all lined up in the fly box with some more common patterns I tied. On the right are the bumble bee model, and a new model, a wasp to try next. I saw a live stink bug a few days ago, I didn't want to kill him for use as a tying model so I'll wait for a dead one to show up, or I will go from pictures.
Thanks for watching.


  1. Wow, they really are as small or smaller than I was imagining. And so realistic. What a great skill/hobby.